Serafino Fiore, president (email@example.com)
Owczarski, director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Origin and History
Under the leadership of the then Superior General,
Fr. Leonard Buijs, the Redemptorist Historical
Institute was founded on December 11, 1948. Its
purpose was and still is to promote the historical
research of the origins, evolution and various
activities of the Congregation and its members
The first members were: Maurice de Meulemeester
(Belgium), President; Oreste Gregorio (Napoles),
Secretary and Peter Bernards (Cologne). In 1968
another group was appointed to work in the Institute:
Frs. Louis Vereecke, President; Giuseppe Orlandi,
Secretary; Oreste Gregorio, Andreas Sampers e
Fabriciano Ferrero. During the following years
the members of the Institute included: Samuel
J. Boland, Carl Hoegerl, Otto Weiss, Manuel Gómez
Ríos and Noel Londoño (President).
The staff of the Historical Institute is composed
of two types: permanent and associate. All are
appointed by the Superior General, after having
heard the current members of the Historical Institute.
They are first appointed for one year, after which
they may be confirmed for a longer period of time.
The permanent members reside in Rome. During the
current sexennium the permanent members are: Serafino
Fiore, (Consultor General, Naples) President;
Adam Owczarski (Warsaw) Director; Alvaro Córdoba
(Bogotá); Emilio Lage (Madrid), Giuseppe Orlandi
(Rome), and Gilbert Enderle (Denver).
Experts in the field of history, even though not
members of the Congregation, collaborate by writing
for both the Spicilegium Historicum C.Ss.R.
and the Bibliotheca Historica.
The Historical Institute publishes the magazine
Historicum C.Ss.R. and the collection
Bibliotheca Historica. The first issue
of Spicilegium Historicum appeared in
1953. It is a biannual magazine that contains
articles, documents, communications, chronicles,
reviews, announcements, biographical data, etc.,
regarding the history of the Congregation. The
number of copies printed each semester is 700,
of which 420 are sent to the Provinces and Vice-Provinces
of the Congregation and 140 are exchanged with
other magazines or Institutes of historical research.
During the years 1997-2007, volumes 45 (1997)
to 55 (2007) were published.
The collection, Bibliotheca Historica,
is made up of single volumes on individual subjects
and publishes documents and sources of particular
importance for the Congregation as well as other
studies on wider subjects. The first two volumes
were published in 1955 and 19 volumes have been
In addition to the above publications and collaboration
in the new History of the Congregation, the members
of the Historical Institute are involved in other
activities such as lectures, courses and meetings,
and Consultors to the Congregation for the Causes
- To continue
research into the origins, evolution and activities
of the Congregation with the publication of
the magazine Spicilegium Historicum and
the collection Bibliotheca Historica.
- To continue
the publication of the Alphonsian bibliography
and the bibliography of the Redemptorists, begun
by Fr. M. de Meulemeester (Bibliographie
générale des écrivains Rédemptoristes,
3 vols., Louvain 1933-1939).